Today’s guest is Raffi Garabedian, Co-Founder and CEO of Electric Hydrogen.
Electric Hydrogen is creating a new generation of electrolyzer technologies to enable clean, abundant and low cost hydrogen to end the age of fossil fuels. They closed an A round of financing back in 2021, including participation from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Prelude Ventures, Capricorn’s Technology Impact Fund, and Energy Impact partners.
I was excited for this one as one, hydrogen is such an important topic and a controversial one. Two, I really wanted to learn more about Electric Hydrogen’s approach. They’ve raised a bunch of money early in their journey from high caliber climate investors, and they have quite an experienced team. Raffi himself was the Chief Technology Officer of First Solar before jumping in as Co-Founder of Electric Hydrogen. We cover a lot in this episode, including the state of heavy industry, what makes it so hard to decarbonize, the role that hydrogen can play, where it is in its evolution, some of the barriers holding it back, some of the approaches that seem promising, and of course, Electric Hydrogens approach. We cover where electrolyzers fit in, how their electrolyzer is different and better, what types of target customers they focus on, how close they are to going to market, what some of the biggest risks are, what scale looks like, and how it will be financed.
Enjoy the show!
Episode recorded May 10, 2022.
In today’s episode, we cover:
- An introduction to Electric Hydrogen and their approach to electrolysis
- Raffi’s own personal climate journey and his experience at First Solar
- How impact and mission inform Raffi’s approach to company building
- How hydrogen serves as a storage medium for renewable energy
- What Electric Hydrogen believes needs to change in how electrolyzers work today
- What the electrolyzer market looks like today